Bomb Threat and Suspicious Device
Once the Building Management Office has been notified of a bomb threat, it is our policy to advise your firm’s manager or senior officer. It is up to the manager or senior officer to decide whether it is appropriate to evacuate the office.
When a bomb threat is made over the telephone, obtain the following information from the caller:
- Exact location of the device.
- Time set for explosion;
- Was the caller male or female
- Describe voice and accent
- Background noises
- Was the caller angry or show other emotions
- Description of the device;
- Reason the caller has placed the bomb;
- Exact words used by the caller.
- Keep this information as confidential as possible.
- Notify the Police Department. Call 911.
- Notify the Building Management Office at 215 567 7412
Upon hanging up with the caller:
- Call 911
- Inform Building Management immediately at 215 567 7412.
- Notify your supervisor.
- The Building Management Office will notify all tenant companies; in addition, handouts will be given to all persons entering the lobby and the garage to inform them of the bomb threat.
- If advised to evacuate by your senior officer, do so quickly, and move at least three (3) blocks away.
Suspicious Device Procedure
- Do not attempt to move or touch it.
- Ensure that all mobile phones/radio devices within 150 feet of the package are shut off.
- Call 911.
- Inform Building Security and Building Management immediately at 215 567 7412.
- Evacuation of the immediate area is the responsibility of the Tenant.
- Letters that are unusually bulky, weighty, lopsided or rigid.
- Parcels or envelopes with oily stains or discoloration.
- Parcels or envelopes without a return address.
- Handwritten or poorly typed address.
- Foreign mail, airmail or special deliveries.
- Restrictive markings such as “confidential”, “personal”, etc.
- Excessive postage.
- Parcels or envelopes that simply do not look or feel ordinary.
Handling of Suspected Bombs
- DO NOT handle the item.
- DO NOT attempt to open the parcel.
- DO NOT place parcel in water.
- DO NOT remove any binding material.
- DO NOT pull or cut any material that protrudes.
Bomb Threat Received by a Tenant:
Should a bomb threat be received by a tenant, the following guidelines should be used:
- Try to obtain as much information as possible. Be prepared to relate this information to the police when they arrive.
- Immediately call the Building Management Office 215 567 7412. The Management Office will call the police. If possible, have a second employee call the Management Office while the bomb threat call is still in progress.
- The Building Management Office will give a recommendation to evacuate if necessary.
- Be alert for any unfamiliar people and/or objects to point out to the police or Building staff upon their arrival. DO NOT touch or handle any suspected object.
- The Safety Wardens accompanied by the police and Building staff will make a complete search of the suspected areas. It will be the responsibility of the Safety Wardens to identify any suspicious objects or items which do not belong in the space.
Bomb Threat Received by the Management Office
In the event that a bomb threat is received by the Management Office, the following guidelines will be observed:
- The Police Department will be notified immediately.
- If a bomb threat is received against a specific floor, the Safety Warden in the affected area will be informed of the situation and Building Management will proceed immediately to the scene. The Building Management Office will give the order to evacuate if necessary.
- Tenants should be alert for any unfamiliar people or objects to point out to the police or building staff upon their arrival. DO NOT touch or handle any suspected objects.
- The Safety Warden, accompanied by the police and Building staff, will make a complete search of the suspected areas. It will be the responsibility of the Safety Warden to identify any suspicious items or packages which do not belong in the space.
- If the bomb threat is received against the Building, and not a specific floor, all public areas, beginning with the most accessible, should be searched.
Bomb Threat or Tenant Ordered to Evacuate
The Management Office will make a recommendation whether a tenant space should be evacuated. If the alarm is heard to evacuate, the following steps should be taken:
- Everyone should proceed quickly, but calmly, to the nearest fire tower exit. DO NOT RUN!
- The Safety Warden or Alternate should walk the suite as a double check to assist employees and make sure everyone is aware of the evacuation order.
- Evacuation will always be outside the Building. Once the evacuation has begun, no one should attempt to re-enter the evacuated area until it has been declared safe by the Management Office or the Police Department. No one should wander about or leave unless directed to do so by the Police or Management Office.
- The Safety Warden or Alternate should proceed to take a head count. If someone is missing, this information should be relayed to the Management Office, Fire Department or Police.